Friday, November 13, 2009

Nice To Meet You

Talking about you can be hard for some people but, for myself I find it quite easy. Not in a cocky, egotistical way but, in a way I perceive how other see me as. i have grown for many years learning from many mistakes and, conquering many obstacles. Thanks to my parents, my brothers, and my friends I know who I am, not your typical teenage young lady.

As a daughter my parents have raised me well in teaching me right from wrong. Since kindergarten I have attended a private school. Transitioning from elementary school to high school most of my friends were to soon attend the near by public high school. During my sophomore year at a private high school I remember that I would ask my mom repeatedly why she would not let me go to a public high school. I tried persuading her by bringing up how much time, gas, and money she would be saving. I soon stopped asking when she told me that all she wanted was the best for me, she would rather work two jobs to pay for my schooling than have it easy and only work one. She says that since she brought me into this world it is her job to prepare to be able to live in this world. I never asked to transfer rather, take advantage of what I blessed to have. Since I can remember I have attended church every Sunday. Being in college has introduced a new life to me, my father never failed to remind me to not 'forget' to go to church. He would tell me "I know you'll be busy, I know you'll be everywhere, I know you'll feel like there is no time to do anything. But I also know that you can't be too busy to spend one hour with God during one day of the week. Just never forget about him." My parents introduced me to God and, withing the past three years I have grown into a great relationship with him and can truly say that my relationship with him can only get stronger. My parents have set the foundation for me to stand on. From them I know how to use my common sense knowing what I should do over what I want to do, I respect my elders, and use my manners to the best.

As a sister my brother always reminded me :no pain no gain." My strength grew from always competing with my brothers. Siblings fight and, my brothers and I were no different from pillow fights to literal fights. There was when the "sock-em-boppers" came out where we were younger. They are inflated boxing gloves that were bigger that ones head! We could not afford the real thing so instead, we would wrap pillows to mimic the inflated boxing gloves. One day my youngest brother, Keith, hit me dead on right in the middle of my face. I cried, but my eldest brother no only told Keith that hitting me in the face was wrong, he also told me that it was okay to cry. He told me that crying was okay, but not to get attention. Crying was something I learned how to stop doing because, it showed my weakness. From then on I became like one of the 'guys,' I was no 'ordinary' girl the other boys could pick on because, the know I was not going to simply sit there and take it. My patience grew from being the middle child and the only girl. My eldest brother was free to go and had so much freedom. My youngest brother got everything he wanted and is babied as if he was an only child. I, on the other hand, felt alone at times and not cared for. However, it taught me how to value what I have, what is given to me, and a sense of responsibility. I take this as if my parents trust me, and know I will just be fine without their constant parenting. My brothers need the attention, I get it, I am fine. I guess good stuff does come to those who wait. My brothers have taught me how to stand, chin up, and head high on that foundation, From them I know how far I can push myself, how much I can take, and how much I can tolerate.

My friends were chosen by me with what my family has taught me in mind. Knowing right from wrong, being strong inside and out, I know how to have fun the right way. I personally do not need to take drugs, drink alcohol, or even spend a lot of money to have a good time. I found friends that believe in what I believe in and, give off good vibes whenever we are together. I say that a good laugh is a natural high. That is the only "drug" I will ever need. i surround myself with people who have a good head on their shoulders because, like the old Japanese proverb goes "one can tell a lot about a man with the people who he is friends with." A couple if my friends are Edward, ,my best friend, straight edge, and is currently attending California State University Los Angeles majoring in Biology. Genevieve, the crazy one, is currently attending Santa Monica College and is majoring in Kinesiology. Ann Margret, the motherly one, is currently attending Mount Saint Mary's College and is majoring in Nursing. We all help out in our parish as much as we can. Since sophomore year we have been active in St. Dominic Youth Ministry. We do not as much because of college but, we still find time to visit. We have to visit sometime because; thanks to that ministry we are who we are today. We all have a work load so, our saying goes "Work now, Play later." We support each other in that and it works. My friends have tested me. They push every button they can push and from this I am able to put what my family has taught me into action.

I have good morals, I know what the right thing to do is, and most of the time I try my best to do just that. I know I am not perfect neither will i ever be nor do i want to be. My parents built this foundation with cement. My brothers molded me with their bare hands. My friends walk by my side on this journey we call life. I know who I am, and I know what I can do. I suppose one can say I am a daughter, a sister, a friend, and a child of God all in one.

No comments:

Post a Comment